Weekender Teardrop Build

Number of images: 7
Created on: Saturday 17 April 2010


Started in: April 17, 2010

General build information is available at Teardrops and Tiny Travel Trailers

The plans can be downloaded at Mikes Weekender.pdf

The weekender is supposed to be buildable in 2 weekends, one for the trailer and one for the body. I started with the body. It will not be done in one weekend. I'm trying for a very light build, under 500 lbs, maybe under 400.

I came home last night with 5 sheets of 5.2 birch, 5 sheets of 5.0 luan, and 20 select 2x4x8. I had a little time, so I ripped a 1x2 from each side of the 2x4s leaving a 2x2 from the middle.

Saturday morning I started on the floor. The floor is 2 sheets of the luan with a 2x2 frame and 1.5 inches of insulation sandwiched between. I used 6 tubes of construction adhesive and 2/3 bottle of gorilla glue. That gorilla glue is a mess. I may never get my hands clean again.

Things slowed down while I drew the profile and marked the framing for the side, then it was off to the races again. I cut all 4 side pieces and started glueing framing to the skin for the side sandwiches. The sides are 1 sheet of luan and 1 sheet of birch with 3/4 inches of insulation between. I finished one side by 6pm and it was time to clean up and REST.

Click on the thumbnail for a full size picture. Close the window to come back.


thumbs/PICT1794.JPG
These are the side panels. The tear is 114" long and takes 1.25 sheets of ply per side.
thumbs/PICT1795.JPG
This is some of the insulation. You can see the floor underneath.
thumbs/PICT1796.JPG
One of the sides on the workspace. I keep a very neat garage. These are my knockdown sawhorses made from a sheet of 3/4 ply.
thumbs/PICT1797.JPG
Close up of the side before insulation. Gorilla glue makes a mess. The side will be fastened to a cleat on top of the floor to keep a width of 4' so the top will overhang the sides.

Didn't fasten the sides this way. The sides fasten to the sides of the floor. Built a narrower floor to compensate.
thumbs/PICT1798.JPG
The inner side of the side panel goes on. I put the 3/4 pressboard and the floor on top to weigh it down until the glue dried.
thumbs/PICT1801.JPG
This is the wall getting skinned.
thumbs/PICT1802.JPG
Some of my hi-tech clamps.
thumbs/PICT1803.JPG
I told you I keep a neat shop.
thumbs/PICT1805.JPG
Some of the struts are in.
thumbs/PICT1807.JPG
Better view.
thumbs/PICT1808.JPG
It has wheels. Much easier to roll than drag.

Everything above had to be redone. My mistake was making the top of the floor 8 feet long. The bottom of the floor is supposed to be 8 feet. The sides did not meet up with the floor correctly and the floor was too wide. Rather than just rebuild the floor, I tried to make it fit by cutting both the floor and walls down. I felt it lost too much strength. I rebuilt it all using the same techniques, just different measurements for the floor. I also used all birch and no luan.
thumbs/PICT1852.JPG
One side of the door skinned.
thumbs/PICT1853.JPG
Door finished.
thumbs/PICT1854.JPG
One door mounted and trimmed out. The windows came from ebay and the door hardware from Lil Bear trailers.
thumbs/PICT1855.JPG
Tha kitchen area. The lower area where you see the generator will be closed in and accessed through the counter. A hatch will hinge up.
thumbs/PICT1856.JPG
A look inside before the second door is mounted.
thumbs/PICT1859.JPG
A close up of the inner cabinets and the electric outlets. I don't know what I will use them for, but they are there.
thumbs/PICT1857.JPG
I had to add a wheel to the tongue support. It is light enough to carry, but I poked a hole in the back of my leg with it. Rolling is easier anyway.
thumbs/PICT1861.JPG
Hooked up and ready to go. Not really, The other door and hatch are not on yet. I just had to see it.
thumbs/PICT1862.JPG
Nearly complete. Notice the matching fenders. Just a little paint needed now.
thumbs/PICT2057.JPG
Inside, with the bed and pillows.
thumbs/PICT2058.JPG
Foot of the bed and cabinets.
thumbs/PICT2060.JPG
Open hatch and detachable table. The table fits in the hatch when not in use.
thumbs/PICT2061.JPG
Side view. Note the crutch for an adjustable table leg.
thumbs/PICT2062.JPG
The stripe goes across the top and bottom of the back for visibility.
thumbs/PICT2063.JPG
I think it's done for now.
thumbs/PICT2065.JPG
Ready to head out.
thumbs/PICT2203.JPG
Decided I did not like the white so I painted it the same yellow as my trike and replaced the eagles with the same spiders that are on my fenders.
thumbs/PICT2268.JPG
All set up and ready for the campfire.
thumbs/PICT2269.JPG
Time to put some burgers on the grill